Managing side slopes in a 4×4
When off-road, you may be forced to traverse terrain diagonally.
- Ensure sure your load and loose items are secure.
- Get out and evaluate the slope to establish your ‘line’.
- Check for slippery conditions.
- Evaluate whether there are obstacles such as ruts or rocks that will affect your passage.
- Driving into a hole or rut could increase the risk of a roll-over.
- Maintain a steady, controlled speed.
- If your vehicle slides or feels as if it is going to roll, turn down the slope, into the direction of the slide accelerating slightly. This will minimise the risk of a roll-over.